5/26/11

Clay got mail!



Have you have ever wondered "Are there still any NICE people out there?". I mean just plain kind. Well, if you have then let me tell you that there are. I promise by the end of this post your belief that people can and still are nice will be restored.

My oldest child received a package in the mail today. A big brown box with his name on it. I looked at the return address (don't worry, I do have good mom moments....I wasn't just gonna give it to him until I knew it was safe). I knew the sender and let him open it. There were two letters, one to Clay and one to Josh and I. There was also a gift. Clay unwrapped a camo hat. Now this would have been cool enough for him.

But it gets better, way better.

He started reading the letter and learned that this wasn't a hat. It was a "cover". The sender who went to high school with us had also gone to A&M with us. He was in the band and this was his cover. So now we had an Aggie hat. Even cooler for Clay.

But it gets even better.

There were two bars on the cover that were explained to Clay. It stood for the rank of Captain. See, told you it got better. We had loud exclamations of "Cool!" and "Wow!". This child has worn this cap nonstop and even to bed. His brothers think he so cool.

The best part was what was said in the letter. Clay got to hear from someone else that he was brave because he was handling his disease so well. He was told that Clay's Commandos needed a Captain Clay. He was beaming after reading that letter.

His dad and I were crying. We were floored. Do people really do this??? This gift made an eight year old boy stand a little taller, have a hop in his step, and just feel important.

Phillip Hadley you have no idea what a blessing your gift was. You are a blessing to this family and we will never forget this day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this brought tears to my eyes. The only reason I was not bawling was because I was reading aloud to Richard. What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, wow! So sweet! What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete